Monday 11 March 2013

SMALL LIVING .. GREAT PLEASURES



                 THE WONDER CALLED YADAMMA.





I want to introduce an important character of my life in my writing today. She is Yadamma, the lady who helps me keep my home clean.  In feudal language, she will be called a servant maid, in modern context, she will be called, the house keeper, but for me, she is a friend of a different kind.  It’s easy to communicate to her and without any fear, bias, or thinking of any kind. She listens to everything attentively without any judgement or preset ideas.

She is not doing any of the things for drawing attention, getting more money or for some favour as she refuses all that, very honestly. There are many such people around us who live in misery but are more learned and wise, or more spiritual and philosophical than most people like me. She in fact gives me good and valid advise on several issues.

The joy comes to her and such people quite easily and they don’t get bogged down by pains and struggle as they keep getting them in abundance and very frequently. For me, talking to her and listening to her is always a great experience and i become instantly happy and contented in life. Their openness and understanding of life is far superior and matured than mine and most fortunate people like me. I haven’t seen any of the qualities in her, which i eternally attempt to conquer, the greed, lust, attachment, ego, anger. Some of those qualities, they cannot even afford as those qualities and all vices are for the privileged people.

 I endlessly wonder at her and such people who are only misunderstood and exploited forever and ever. Excepting giving more money and hearing, really do not know what can i do to better their lives. i keep feeling helpless about the state of affairs of our country where more time is spent in committing absolutely ancient crime like Rape and more time, might , energy is spent to counter/ control them in media, government etc, and obviously yes it is essential to spend time .. But are we progressive and modern?

Anyway, i am not in the mindset now to talk on those and let me focus on Yadamma. She is one of those thousands of poor Indians who love their land, their locality, and their people despite everything always going wrong for them. Who else can teach me unconditional love, commitment to work, values etc better than yadamma and people like her. Yes i do keep getting refreshed and keep learning and hopefully i am also helpful to them always on some way or the other.

The relief that i get talking to her is absolutely refreshing and pure. The heart fills up and the joy is natural and complete. The conversations range from politics in india to life in earlier days, to attitudes of people, to money to festivals, to traditions, to health to just about everything including religion, spirituality. And all this for maximum 10 to 15 minutes and what a joy and relief that gives.

I am not preaching here anything and just sharing the subtle, happy moments that i keep getting with several simple people every day. Each of them is unconditional and at best they may require few rupees for basic needs. This is how most of the life was, when i was young and now i am caught in this confused modern world of endless greed, power game, and manipulations of which i am also a part. Hopefully more interaction with people like yadamma will make a better human being.

Idea of writing this was to express my overwhelming gratitude and appreciation to yadamma and people like her. But there is this insufficiency in me as i still feel there is lot to be done to them THAN just make few people resonate with me. But this is the way to say thanks to god for creating such simple , nice people around us who give so much value endless, unconditionally like the trees and plants around us and like all our mothers. I love such simple genuine people who are in abundance but we need to realize and be in touch with them. Spending 30 minutes a day will help us like its helps me always.

I want to control the temptation of writing more by making one last point. Yadamma kinds are wise, patriotic, contented , sacrificing, and only if they have had better conditions of living, good education and opportunities, wouldn’t they have been great agents of change for our country ? i will leave it here for people who came this far to read , to think and decide .. Tell me if you have an answer.

Thanks for reading this and extending my joy.




No comments:

Post a Comment