Saturday 26 November 2011

NADAAN PARINDEY ... GHAR AATE REHANA

I didn’t ever know or believe that i can talk to pigeons and only those pigeons that come and visit my balconies.  But since the communication is not so apparently two ways, i have my own observations and doubts. I don’t want to go google and know instantly all about them. I am willing to wait lifelong to know the answers myself as i feel i am loosing the habit and the need to discover on our own..
Some observations, probably know to all.  1) Pigeons love Puttnaalu pappu ( that daal used for making chutney with coconut) so much that they fight amongst themselves for a fast grab and fight ferociously between them.  2) There is a significant male domination and males do not allow female pigeons to eat peacefully.  3)  There is some family bondage and both the male and female protect the younger ones. 4) They don’t hatch the eggs when they are even vaguely touched by humans. 5) They have preference of eating places within the same house.. For instance they do not prefer to eat if you feed them on a bedroom balcony in normal conditions. 6) They get angry, excited, they are possessive. 6) They can also take humans for granted as they don’t fear people if they feed them regularly. Hence they are also intelligent enough to perceive danger and safety. 7) They understand our language better than we understand them.
What is most appalling is the way they hatch the eggs. They are so vigilant and watchful, OMG it’s very bewildering. The way they teach the younger ones to walk, fly without getting frustrated is to be seen to be believed. Don’t know at what point they get disconnect from the younger ones. I don’t know when they die? How they die? What will happen after their death? I don’t even want to know. For me its the same pigeons .. though i do make the difference.. its so easy not to have name, class, creed and all the yardsticks of separation.
They are very playful and can tease you no end if you are vulnerable.. They will walk inside house if you are seriously studying and distract you. They make sounds as if to say. Come on spot me.. they play hide and seek with me.  But i do i miss sparrows as i grew up with them in my school and early college days. They were different and their making of the nest is something of a great wonder of life. I feel some loss of essence in my life when these sparrows have become extinct, at least in most parts of Hyderabad. We have literally robbed the co existence of the living with us. What a pity? Slowly we have also disintegrated a lot. Joint families are gone.. Nuclear families are under threat and god its so scary. But the innocent pigeons, the nadaan parindey are so much fun to observe, learn. I love them and they are so essential part of my otherwise normal life. Thanks pigeons and keep coming to my balcony all the while. I won’t even obstruct you with washing machine or any modern gadget or the nets to prevent you. I promise..

No comments:

Post a Comment