Saturday 3 September 2011

WHY DO THE POOR HAVE NO CHOICE



Just couple of months ago, the watchman family was changed and new family was employed in our apartments... filmy story but true.. watchman's wife was suspected to have commited a theft in one of the house  and the rightful self pride made them quit this job and i felt slightly sad but encouraged them to leave the place as pride and self respect is more important.. My appreciation grew stronger for them as instead of feeling insecured , they were stong willed.. A good learning for me.. My conclusion is that, they were unnecessarily targeted  and they could not accept their mistake of accusing the innocent or else they would simply have lodged a police complaint. 

everything heals with time...  they settled and so is the new watchman family here in the apartments..  I found new learning in Ramya, the girl about 9 years in the watchman family..  Her attitude of being happy how ever made me touched many times..  My offer to get her education did not take shape as parents were not keen.. Couple of times, i did get irritated when the girl would ask money...  I realized later that, the problem is with me and not her...  why did i expect that , the girl will not have needs and that i gave her comforting signals so that she could ask me...  Luckily i did not get too too rigid and struck a balance and gave money to her few times.

Life was going on , sometimes being able to ignore them and their plight and sometimes getting sensitized and sometimes being able to help.. largely , i did not attempt to change their lives .. Since i did not take the mantle of reforming thier life , it was easy on me..

But one day , they just rang the calling bell and announced that they are leaving to their village the next day.. I was zapped and they did not seem to tell the right reason.. I did not embarrass them by nagging..  Few minutes later Ramya came and said they were leaving in next few minutes..  It hit me badly then.... How vulnerable the lives of poor are? what must be going in thier minds when suddenly they have pack their bag and just leave..  wouldn't they feeling lost and totally insecured..  What will happen to Ramya? would she re discover her joy in that village again?

These are only the questions and may be will never get the answer for them... I felt probably the poor have no choice but just keep getting beaten by circumstances always and remain calm and accept everything...  But can we at least empatize with them and just listen to them and lend supporting hand...  There are plenty such stories around our lives everyday..  Can we make some difference to such lives? can we be helpful? can we understand? can we at least draw happiness thinking we are better off....

Just leave my thoughts here...  Depressing and helplessness is the feeling...

No comments:

Post a Comment