Saturday 24 November 2012

SHREYA GHOSAL.. CELESTIAL VOICE



 



I am sure no one will arrest me or even threaten me of anything or bash me or abuse me, if i openly eulogize the great singing queen Shreya ghosal. People will disagree, or rubbish me but won’t deny most of what i am expressing here as i am just reflecting the most music lovers feelings and thoughts. 

It was year 2002 , i think and the month was July/ August and i heard the song , Bairi Piya from Devdas for the first time after i bought the cassette. I just could not believe what was happening to me. The song, more so the deep innocence divine voice was taking me somewhere and i kept listening again and again and again. I knew for sure that a voice has arrived in Indian music. That was Shreya Ghosal. Those days, Aish was literally the queen (for me she will be forever that) and here was someone who matched such angelic looks of aish with her voice. Each time i listen to song, i just travel to some unknown serene place and come back. I won’t take back anything from Ismail Darbar , the composer of that song, but only keep wondering as to why didn’t he last long.


After Lata and during lata several singers appealed to me immensely and each time, i would think,  that this is the replacement for LATA.. Started with Anuradha podwal, then alkayagnik, then Kavitha Krishna Murthy, Then Mahalakshmi iyer, much later Madhusree etc..  I salute and respect each of them as astounding singers as they are so fantastic as singers. But this lady shreya is a gift to the Indian music. She has all the characteristic and nuances of being the proper Indian singer, cutting across languages, traditions and culture.  She is fabulous in her way; she gets into the nativity of the song in each language. 


There is no song and genre that she has not sung and made a mark. How does one appreciate her histrionics in songs like Dochey in Puli ( telugu), or Mahabooba in Ek tha tiger or that famous song from dirty picture. Honestly i would want to believe that, all these numbers are sung by a different singer.  Today when hardly, the singers voice can be differentiated and identified for uniqueness, shreya’s stands out and she gives a stamp on every song she sings.


In telugu, Varsham, 7 G brindavan colony ( talachi), Okkadu( nuvvemaya) , Chali ( Mr perfect) are some of them which are so typical shreya that, you will always remember those songs for her voice, rendition, style and presentation. But one song which i listen almost every day is Sreeramalera from Sriramarajyam. I can never get over the divine effect it has on me each time i listen to the song. Not even once it seems that a human can sing that song. I will fail completely if i try to put that magic in words and every word, is uttered in a celestial fashion.
I started writing this, thinking i will list my top ten of shreya ghosal and this will be more criminal than most crimes and i do not want to take risk. But my all time greats are 1) Bairi piya from devdas 2) Jadoo from jism 3) Doobi from 3 idiots 4) teri orr from singh is king 5) piyu bole from parineetha  6) pal pal har pal from Munnabhai, 7) cheeni kum song and NO way i can keep typing the songs.


But one last time i want to make a special mention of Saans from Jab tak hain jaan....just to listen to that song, one has to go into silence and experience, especially the shreya sad version of the song. In the movie, that is so rich and intense that, it touches deeper layer of heart. Otherwise, the duet song the same is disappointing visually. If one listens carefully, the talent of shreya is there as a multi scan report. 

I want to take the risk and assert that, it’s surely shreya ghosal after LATA.... And this lady will rule for another decade easily.. Though it is tempting , i do not want to compare the 2 legends of so different eras for the fear of inviting wrath from the old timers. But Shreya is easily the best after lata. 





No comments:

Post a Comment